Endless Paradigm

Full Version: Why are ebook readers so expensive
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Im looking into getting one, and getting some ebooks, probably most legit (support authors!!)

However, the one i was interested in, a Sony one is £199. So i figured that's out of the question, and decided to look at other alternatives. What I discovered is that this is actually the cheapest reader available, so I'm gonna have to wait until beginning of next month (18th Bday=Major moneys) until I can afford any ebook reader (and I will probably get that one). But, it begs the question, why are they so expensive, since the technology itself is fairly inexpensive, and most are based on Linux as well...
sony is so expensice because of its screen more likely

its screen is  special type that keeps the image it views even when turned off
kinda like screen burn in crts and tvs
this saves battery life as the screen is only on when changing the page
sony says the read can turn around 69000 pages before the battery dies

also when don't you read pdfs on your psp
that's what i do
Just get a PSP instead for an ebook reader. :P
i read the whole twilight series on my psp :), big screen, bright, and many other uses.
Yeah man PSP pwns.  Don't pay high prices.
Readers are expensive as they have a very little market share. Plus they have a lot of features like book marking, highlighting etc that your std PSP or Phone can't do..
Also, looking at such a comparatively low-res screen as the PSP's or iPhone's results in eyestrain. At least it does in people with bad eyes, like me. I've really considered getting an ebook reader
I tried using my PSP, but i like ebook reader because they have the shape of a book,which is what appeals to me. Also, although this is an odd comment I know, I don't think the PSP supports the ARM that will be on the copies i buy
Reference URL's