Endless Paradigm

Full Version: Electronics Repair Question
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
So basically i have an ipod nano that ive taken apart to replace its screen. Now i knew the ipod nano would have problems. Like when i put it into the computer it would be recognized sometimes and other times its screen would flash and it would make a *beep* sound. Now obviously this troubles me if im going to repair it, so i tried to look for the source of the problem by inspecting the logic board and i found these strange splotches (liquid made and it looks like it was spilt on it, i don't know where it came from)

SO i don't need help of how to take apart a nano, but how will you be able to clean this mess up without damaging the logic board!

I've heard alcohol works, but do i just slab it on all over or what; i need some advice
I would try some alcohol-like stuff and then what i'd do is dip a q-tip in it and use that to sort of rub off the goo you're finding, it should be able to sort of get between most components most of the time. I wouldn't really drown it in alcohol...
if the ipod suddenly doesn't work the water, goo poo poo has probably already shorted and burnt something out. I'm not sure cleaning it will help much.
if you want to clean something like that use Isopropyl Alcohol, the highest concentration you can get which is i think 95% or 90%.. don't just pour in on there... use a q-tip or cotton swab.. pour a little bit into the cap and just dip really quick to get some on it... alcohol evaporates really fast so it won't damage contacts and that kinda thing BUT it is still liquid and can still short out electronics if you arent careful so... BE REALLY CAREFUL!!! take out the battery and stay away from anything that looks like a capacitor.. oh and make sure its not that colored alcohol like the mint green color i see sometimes... it has additives for the color that leaves a residue.. use clear
Azumi Wrote:if you want to clean something like that use Isopropyl Alcohol, the highest concentration you can get which is i think 95% or 90%.. don't just pour in on there... use a q-tip or cotton swab.. pour a little bit into the cap and just dip really quick to get some on it... alcohol evaporates really fast so it won't damage contacts and that kinda thing BUT it is still liquid and can still short out electronics if you arent careful so... BE REALLY CAREFUL!!! take out the battery and stay away from anything that looks like a capacitor.. oh and make sure its not that colored alcohol like the mint green color i see sometimes... it has additives for the color that leaves a residue.. use clear

taking out an ipod battery is a pain in the butt

right now whenever i plug it into the comp its recognized....so i think its okay for now (still in pieces though :P)

Thanks for the help everyone! Gongxi
What kind of nano is it and when did you buy it? I washed the ipod nano 2nd gen i bought about a year ago, opened it, messed it all up, put it back together, gave it to the apple support people, and got a brand new one back. So if you would still have had warranty, just go and see them and they'll probably give you back a new one without even looking at it (as long as you put it back together a bit)
Reference URL's